Friday, April 29, 2011

Blog Post # 14 - Special Assignment on Metaphors

Metaphor Cartoon
1. Unfortunately, I missed the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, Don't Let Them Taker Pencils Home. I guess I took the message too literally. I think I over-thought the entire post.My focus was more on writing a good blog post which included an analysis of the "Pencil" rather than interpreting a technological meaning. Now that I know the pencil represents the computer, the post gives me totally new perspective. I have to admit that I was somewhat bewildered why teachers wouldn't want their students to "take the pencils home".

2. We encounter metaphors on a daily basis.  Since I am an English major, I have learned that metaphors are prevalent in literature, especially poetry. Poets often use Poppies to represent death and Lilies to represent purity. These illustrations create metaphors behind meaning. Some common metaphors heard often are, Kicked the Bucket, Apply of my Eye, Ran like the Wind, and in music, It's Raining Men.

3. Students who hear metaphors often and understand them will be able to pick up on them more quickly. When I was in high school, one of my teachers actually gave the class a list of metaphors, explained them, and gave us a test on them. Of course, I thought it was a silly idea. I now understand that recognizing and understanding metaphors allows us to better participate in conversations.

4. A metaphor is a figure of speech that constructs an analogy between two things or ideas. They are often used to make a point stronger. Using them when writing, may make the story more lively and express meaning and feelings more creatively. Using metaphors often are an easier way to express feelings without  having to explain yourself in depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment